November 21, 2016 by Kolin S. Brown Safety & Chemical Hygiene Coordinator, Statler College of Engineering & Mineral Resources
Morgantown, W.Va. — As we head into the holiday season and the college becomes more festive, please remember the following fire safety tips when putting up decorations in the college:
1. LED lights are preferred over incandescent lights, because they produce less heat.
2. All Christmas lights must have a “UL” or “FM” approved tag.
3. Do not leave lights on unattended.
4. Make sure lights, holiday displays, coffee makers and other appliances are unplugged before leaving for home.
5. When hanging decorations from the ceiling, do not obstruct or cover sprinkler heads.
6. Artificial trees should not be placed close to electrical panels.
7. Do not block emergency exits, emergency pathways or fire doors with holiday decorations.
8. Do not block or conceal fire extinguishers, pull stations or other emergency equipment.
9. Do not plug extension cords or power strips into other extension cords or power strips.
10. WVU prohibits lit candles or open flames. Permission must be obtained from Environmental Health and Safety if candles are to be burned.
11. Do not run garlands down the length of the hallways.
Additional holiday safety tips for the office or home may be found at the NFPA website: